For many seasonal traveler this topic is not a headache problem,but for a long term trip backpacker this is a very very important thing to consider.If you make mistake in deciding how much weight you can take,then welcome to the hell..hahaha…Seriously,i mean you will regret it.Your trip will full of profanity,shoulder ache and backache problem,and grumbling all the day,and suddenly you will find that your backpack become your biggest enemy in the trip.I still remember when i bring all of my camera things in one 35L bag (include tripod),well it’s very torture me.
So,How Weight My Backpack Should Be?
Well it’s depend on how big you are,i’ve found a simple method to measure the ideal weight of our backpack,just make the backpack weight maximum 5-10% from your body weight,more less more comfortable.So,if you have body weight around 70kg or 150lbs then make sure you don’t bring more than 7kg or 15lbs in your backpack,make it 4 or 5kg it’s better.I think for 5kg backpack weight it’s already supply you enough clothes,pants,and another your necessaries things for months long term trip or maybe years trip.
I did research of scaling the weight of the traveler’s common items below :
- Common t-shirt : 140 grams or 5 oz
- Common shirt : 250 grams or 8.8 oz
- Common long sleeve t-shirt : 200 gram or 7 oz
- Lightweight cotton hoodie jacket : 350 grams or 12.3 oz
- Common jacket : 750 grams or 26.4 oz
- Lightweight jeans pants : 320 grams or 11.2 oz
- Common jeans pants : 600 grams or 21.2 oz
- Sport shorts : 130 grams or 4.6 oz
- Common underwear : 50 grams or 1.7 oz
- Common boxer underwear : 135 grams or 4.8 oz
- Women’s bra : 50 grams or 1.7 oz
- Common socks set : 35 grams or 1.2 oz
- Common flip flop : 250 grams or 8.8 oz
- Adidas shoes : 700 grams or 25 oz
- Common towel ( 30 x 70 cm ) : 135 grams or 4.8 oz
- Microfiber lightweight towel ( 30 x 70 cm ) : 50 gram or 1.7 oz
So that’s some items that i’ve been scale,so based on data above a 3kg or 106 oz carrier backpack can supplies you with :
- 5pcs t-shirt : 700 grams
- 1pc lightweight jeans pants : 320 grams
- 1pc lightweight hoodie jacket : 350 grams
- 2pcs sport shorts / beach shorts : 260 grams
- 5pcs underwear : 250 grams
- 2set socks : 70 grams
- 1pc flip flop : 250 grams
- 1pc microfiber lighweight towel : 50 grams
The total is only 2.250 kg or 79 oz,so you still have lot a room for another items,i only scaling the common items in carrier backpack,and not include the electronic equipment,because electronic items mostly was carried in separated backpack,but for the total weight should not over than 5-10% of your body weight.
So may this help you guys,before hit the road,cheers!
p.s.the data above is based on my asian size,for the bigger size just add 10% of the items weight above.